CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Apple Dumplings

As some of you know Mark's Dad passed away a couple of months ago. Since then we have been packing up the house and getting his Mom ready to move to St. Louis. It's been a really hard month around.....but things are finally getting back to somewhat normal around here.

I've started new project yesterday that I am so excited about. Mark's Mom gave us a dress and I decided to refinish it. I found a night stand at one of the thrift stores when my girlfriend and I were out junkin on Sat. I just can't make up my mind what color I want to do it in. I have the one dress and one night stand sanded now I have two more night stands and a dress to sand. I want to put a broken china mosaics, a.k.a. Pique Assiette top on them. I have never done either one before so it will be interesting to see how they turn out. I am my worst critic so I'm hoping I like them when I get done LOL. I have been wanting to try the mosaic top for a few years now. They are so beautiful!

Today I tried a new recipe from Pioneer Women....it was sooooo yummmie.


Apple Dumplings

2 Granny Smith apples
2 sticks Butter
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1 t Vanilla
Cinnamon
2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
a 12oz can of Mountain Dew.

Start by peeling and coring 2 Granny Smith apples. It doesn't matter if they’re a little bruised and battered. My boys used these to play racquetball earlier that day, and they worked just fine. Next, cut the apples into eight slices.


Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. open the can of crescent rolls and unroll the dough, roll up an apple slice in each of the crescent rolls.Now lay each one into the buttered baking pan.


Sauce
Now, melt 2 sticks regular (salted) butter in a saucepan. Dump in 1 1/2 cups sugar…

And here’s the kicker: just barely stir together. Also add in 1 teaspoon vanilla…

And barely stir. You definitely want the mixture lumpy and grainy.



Now pour the mixture over the top of the dumplings, making sure to thoroughly coat them. Now, the recipe calls for a 12-ounce can of Mountain Dew, pour Mountain Dew all around the edge of the pan. (I used the whole can I would suggest trying half a can it was very syrupy)

NOW. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, watching to make sure they don’t get too brown. (You’ll definitely want them golden brown and crispy on top, though.)

Serve it with vanilla ice cream (cinnamon ice cream would be perfect, too), and don’t be afraid to top the whole thing with some of the sweet sauce from the bottom of the pan.

My son was here when they came out of the oven and I wasn't sure there was going to be any left for when Mark got home ;-)

No comments: